Diane Kratz

About Me:

Diane Kratz is crime fiction writer. She has been married to her wonderful husband Tom for 25 years, lives on a small farm in Kansas and has worked as a social worker in domestic violence shelters, hospice, and in county mental health.

She graduated from Emporia State University bachelors in Sociology, and from Washburn University with a Masters in Social Work. She is accredited as Licensed Master Social Worker from the Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board in Kansas. She is also a member of NASW (National Association of Social Workers). She has a Golden Lab named Maggie, and a very old cat named Figaro, and another named Patches.

She is an active member of Kiss of Death, Midwest Romance Writers, Romance Writer of America, Sister In Crime and International Thriller Writers Association.

Her favorite authors include Karin Slaughter, Jeff Lindsey, Steven King, Tess Gerritsen and CJ Lyons.

She is currently working on her first novel in a series of five books, Victims of Love Genesis.

17 thoughts on “Diane Kratz

1. Jo-Ann Carson says:

I really like your post. You describe yourself so well, and yet so casually, that I feel like we’re having coffee together. Nicely done!
    I’m impressed with the number of writing associations you belong to. Have you found the International Thriller group has a lot to offer?
    Best wishes
    Jo-Ann

2. dianekratz says:

Thanks JoAnn for saying so. My local group and KOD are the best I belong too. ITW is great to see what’s going on in the genre. They have a page, but honestly I don’t use it much. Too busy with other things! Love you picture!

3. Carla says:

I really like the description as well. Great background information

4. marsharwest says:

Gosh, Diane, with your experiences, you can write a slew of books. Thanks for your service as a social worker. I’m not sure who’s less valued SWs or teachers. Neither of whom we could do without and both of whom should be paid tons more.

• dianekratz says:

Couldn’t agree with you more! I’ll be paying back my student loans until I’m eighty! Thanks so much for stopping by. I should have put this page up on day one. Forgot!I Appreciate all the support from my fellow writers!

5. Madison Woods says:

Hi, found you through the LinkedIn Writer’s group. Love your blog and will be back to do more reading here later when I get more time.

6. Sunni Morris says:

Diane,

I found your link at Linked In. You did a good job of explaining what your site is about. I’m a fantasy writer but I enjoy reading all genres. Mystery, thrillers are probably my favorites along with fantasy.

If you like thrillers you should give Jeffery Deaver a try. He’ll keep you on the edge of your seat.

I’ll be back to see what else you’ve posted as time allows.

Sunni

7. Thanks for letting me know about your blog. This is the way networking is supposed to be done;)

8. MoxieVixen says:

Hi Diane!
    I found your blog yesterday and so far I love it. I came across this FBI publication on psychopaths and immediately thought that you might get some benefit from it or at least find it interesting.
    I look forward to reading more of your entries.
    Happy writing!

• dianekratz says:

Thanks Moxie! I’m thrilled to have you as a follower! Very interesting! Also very scary. My daughter was in a relationship with a psychopath who used the internet to degrade her, killed our dog, burglarized us and while they were together, he used violence to control her. He did most of these things after she left him.

He is in prison now for robbing someone else (he claims it was because of her, he had to steal from other to pay his crappy lawyer lots of money to get to see his kids)-(His words not mine). Everything I’ve read on this site you provided, is certainly true about him. Never takes responsible, callousness, all about me, I or himself. Retribution and pay back is what motivated him. I know we will be dealing with him forever.

Again, thanks for stopping by, following my blog and for leaving a message.
      Diane

9. D says:

I have rarely found a blog I had to sit and read through. Wonderful. Thank you!

10. Amber says:

Hey there I am a young author and I was wondering if you could help me with the profiling. My character is a serial killer and I was wondering how they would be profiled if: there were clear signs of struggles, rope burns, two of the victims had many cuts around their body, some resembling roses, and the most recent one having a clear rose carved into the abdomen. Other than a couple synthetic hairs, there has been nothing else found at the scene of the crime. I have a few ideas, but Im obviously no where near as qualified as you are to profile well. I would be much obliged for you to offer any and all help.

• dianekratz says:

Hi Amber,

I would love to help you but I am not a profiler, I’m LMSW, who works in mental health. The best advice I can give you to research what profiling is all about. On MARCH 26, 2012 I did a on here called, “What Exactly is a Profile?” Please look it up. Profilers look for “behaviors” in a crime and they do that in many ways-crime scene, victim backgrounds, and the way they were murdered. What behaviors do you see in the crime scene? Was the house a mess or was it clean? Did they leave behind a weapon, bring their own or use the victims? Usually if things are a mess your dealing with someone who has a psychotic mental disorder. They leave behind evidence because they don’t care if they get caught. Victimology is another VERY important way profilers profile. Was the victim high risk or low risk? High risk victims are usually people involved in crimes like pro’s or drug addicts, whereas low risk victims are stay at home law abiding citizens. Do you see what I mean? For me, I read lots of books and studied cases. I’d advise you to start there. You know who your villain is and why he does what he does and you know his victims and why he picked them. Show that in your writing and you will get a profile in your head. In the meantime READ up on profiling. I have lots of books listed on this site, go forth, find and read them. I hope this helped!
      Best of Luck,